Marky Pitts, CPIA
Marky Pitts is retired from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) after serving as Director of the Animal Subjects Program from 1984-2003. She also served as Director of Animal Research Issues in UCSD¹s Public Information Office. She currently serves as a consultant to universities, organizations and companies on IACUC issues, and as a director of IACUC 101 Series non-profit.
- Serves on the Board of Trustees of AAALAC, International.
- Serves as an AAALAC ad hoc consultant/specialist.
- Served on the Board of Directors of PRIM&R (Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research) 1997 – 2012.
- Served on the Executive committee of the AAALAC Board of Trustees 2010 – 2012.
- Served on the IACUC for the Zoological Society of San Diego from 1989 – 2013.
- Recipient of the Applied Research Ethics National Association (ARENA) Legacy Award (inaugural recipient) in March 2007, the ARENA Distinguished Service Award in March 2000, and the California Biomedical Research Association’s (CBRA) Distinguished Service Award in May 1999.
- Chaired the Editorial Committee for the ARENA/OLAW IACUC Guidebook, 2nd edition; served as a member of the NIH Study on Regulatory Burden Animal Care and Use Workgroup in 1998.
- Served as an NIH site visitor.
- President of ARENA in 1992.
Presented on various animal research-related issues at SCAW, AALAS, the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), Society for Neurosciences, SRA and NCURA, and UCSD. Marky has also published articles in Lab Animal and the ILAR Journal.